Digital marketing is the use of marketing strategies on digital media platforms. The same techniques that are applied offline, are reapplied digitally. In the ever-changing digital world, there are new programs, networks, and software that are coming out every day and the measurements become more accurate and put out better information and diagnostics. Knowing, or using a company that knows, how to market your brand online is arguably just as important, if not more so, than knowing how to create a quality product or service for your customers.
This makes the most of your online resources opportunities available to you to help you give your brand the boost that it needs to begin competing with the brands that have been dominating your niche. This requires a great deal of knowledge and strategy to be effective. Otherwise, you could just be throwing money away at something that you don’t know is going to have any return on investment. This can be done using any electronic device like a computer, smartphone, tablet, etc.
Types of Digital Marketing
Digital marketing is most often used on platforms such as web sites, email, mobile applications, and social media platforms. You can also use the channels that don’t necessarily use the internet to be functional like social media marketing (SMS), radio, and television.
Social media is a major facet of digital marketing and companies will often use any combination of traditional and modern forms of digital marketing. Though, digital is more common among marketers, because the metrics are more reliable, current, and show more information so you can pinpoint exactly what is working and what is not.
There are many different forms of online marketing that help you achieve the results that you want with your business:
- Website and Blogs: High quality content and affiliate marketing to draw the would-be user in.
- Social Media Marketing (SMS): Social networks are often the gathering place for those of a common interest/need. It will foster more interactivity and direct feedback from those to whom you are offering your services, making them incredibly effective
- Email Marketing: This one has been shown to have the highest return on investment. It will always give you a direct line in to your customers.
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO): This is also a highly effective method of converting leads to customers while simultaneously circumventing PPC advertising
- Search Engine Marketing (SEM): You can use the search engine itself as your billboard and run ad campaigns. This also encompasses social networks, search engines, blogs, forum banners, and other sites
Why Digital Marketing?
Digital marketing is proving itself to be far more effective than traditional marketing, because the customers are all online and it is easier to get attention on the internet because of all the interactive tools at your disposal. Following are some great benefits of digital marketing:
- Much more affordable
- Greater control over appearance, where it shows up, and the market it targets
- If you find that it isn’t working, most advertising platforms will let you cancel at any time
- Better tools for analysis
- You can test new forms of advertising and strategies
- You are not limited, geographically
- The customer will give you more direct feedback
- You are accessible 24/7
- You can offer high quality customer service
Digital marketing makes reaching your customer much easier and, well, possible to expand into larger markets because the online marketplace is not segmented like it is offline. Anybody from anywhere can find your site online at any time of day and make a purchase or at least view your offerings.
Undoubtedly, digital marketing is one of the best investments that you can make for your business. It will preserve the longevity of your business and let you compete with companies that have a much larger marketing budget.